Human/Bear Conflict Prevention
Tips for Reducing Human to Bear Conflicts
- Store garbage in certified bear-resistant garbage cans or dumpsters.
- Keep garbage containers inside a secure building until the morning of pickup.
- Store recyclable containers, such as pop cans, indoors; the sweet smells attract bears.
- Store especially smelly garbage, such as meat or fish scraps, in a freezer until it can be taken to a refuse site.
- Do not leave food from barbeques and picnics outdoors, especially overnight; coolers are not bear-proof.
- Replace hummingbird feeders with hanging flower baskets which are also attractive to hummingbirds.
- Store pet food inside and feed pets inside.
- Clean and store barbeque grills after each use, put them in a secure shed or garage.
- Pick fruit from trees as soon as its ripe and collect fallen fruit immediately
- Do not put out feed for wildlife (corn, oats, pellets, three-way, nor molasses blocks). It is not only harmful to wildlife, it is prohibited by a Teton County Ordinance.