2021 FLOAT SURVEYS UPDATE:
- 3 Nature Mappers to a boat (Please Note: trips may be canceled if boats are not filled).
- Price is $50 per person ($150 for guide/ $50 for shuttle driver) – cash only.
- Floats will occur every other Sunday starting June 13 through the end of September (8 trips). Start time may vary week to week. Generally, we meet in the Stilson lot between 6-7 am.
- JH Vintage Adventures will shuttle one car from Stilson Lot to Tipi Camp.
- Covid-19: wearing of masks or being vaccinated will not be required. Participants must be okay to travel back to Stilson Lot in one car with the other three people in the group that day. The group will be travelling in the same van carrying the boat from Stilson Lot to Wilson Boat Ramp.
- Please sign up through our Sign Up Genius form here. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
About our Snake River Floats Project:
The Snake River Floats Project is designed to gain a better idea of what species of mammals, birds and amphibians use the section of river between Wilson Bridge and South Park. In this section, the river flows mostly through private land where wildlife professionals do not conduct a systematic census.
The Snake River Float project helps to provide a more complete picture of the species that use the river corridor between Wilson Bridge and South Park. It has recorded the locations of nests of osprey, bald eagle, and great blue heron, along with ducks and shorebird nesting areas. This project has recorded thousands of individual birds. Mammals observed range from least chipmunk to moose.
The float also provides a wonderful opportunity to enjoy AJ DeRosa’s wooden boat adventures. AJ’s Jackson Hole Vintage Adventures generously offers this opportunity in support of our citizen science program.
Photo: Doug Cahill
Snake River Float Trip Details
Floats take place every Sunday morning from May through September and include about 3 hours on the river. Float participants typically meet at the Stilson Ranch parking lot at 7 am, but those details will be confirmed by the trip leader. Jackson Hole Wildlife Foundation ensures that there is at least one trained Nature Mapper on every trip, and has advanced and expert birders on each trip.
Float trips for this section of the river are offered courtesy of AJ DeRosa’s Wooden Boat Tours. Special thanks to AJ and his boatmen! A $30 per person fee for the trips for the shuttle is suggested and you may elect to offer a tip to the guide(s).
Top Ten Species Lists 2015 – 2018
|Canada Goose||Common Merganser||Canada Goose||Canada Goose|
|Spotted Sandpiper||Spotted Sandpiper||Spotted Sandpiper||Cliff Swallow|
|Tree Swallow||Canada Goose||Yellow Warbler||Spotted Sandpiper|
|American Pelican||Tree Swallow||Cliff Swallow||Common Merganser|
|Mallard||Mallard||Common Merganser||Tree Swallow|
|Common Merganser||Cliff Swallow||Mallard||Yellow Warbler|
|American Robin||American Robin||Tree Swallow||Bank Swallow|
|Yellow Warbler||Yellow Warbler||American Robin||Mallard|
|Song Sparrow||Yellow-rumped Warbler||Song Sparrow||Song Sparrow|
|Bald Eagle||Bald Eagle||American White Pelican||American White Pelican|
Ride Along on a Snake River Float Trip
On July 9, 2017 four participants floated eight miles down the Snake River in a wooden boat from Rendezvous Park to Jackson Hole Vintage Adventures Camp and mapped birds and other wildlife in this rich habitat.
They observed 402 birds, including nine Bald Eagles, and one Yellow-bellied Marmot.
This image gallery depicts that two-hour trip on a clear Sunday morning.
Photos by Melanie Hill.
Thanks to Jackson Hole Vintage Adventures!